On April 2, 2020, the Treasury Department and the Internal Revenue Service announced the distribution of economic impact payments to help Americans combat the financial effects of the COVID-19 pandemic. As always, Co-op Credit Union is committed to providing the guidance and support you need so you can focus on your loved ones’ health and wellness and staying safe. If your finances have been impacted by the pandemic, you’re not alone. We’re here to help you understand how to get your economic impact payment quickly and safely.
Economic impact payment top tips:
- Check to see if you’re eligible. Visit irs.gov/coronavirus for questions on eligibility.
- Get in the know about avoiding fraud and scams. Use the #FTCScamBingo to learn more about avoiding COVID-19 related scams.
- Take steps to avoid getting a paper check so you can get your money faster without having to leave your home. In the coming weeks, the IRS will be developing a portal where consumers can check the status of their refund and provide their direct deposit information. Check irs.gov/coronavirus for timing.
How much money am I eligible for?
According to the U.S. Treasury, tax filers with adjusted gross income up to $75,000 for individuals and up to $150,000 for married couples filing joint returns will receive the full payment. For filers with income above those amounts, the payment amount is reduced by $5 for each $100 above the $75,000/$150,000 thresholds. Single filers with income exceeding $99,000 and $198,000 for joint filers with no children are not eligible. Eligible taxpayers who filed tax returns for either 2019 or 2018 and provided direct deposit information will automatically receive an economic impact payment of up to $1,200 for individuals or $2,400 for married couples – no additional action required. Parents also receive $500 for each qualifying child. If you’re not typically required to file taxes and don’t receive Social Security benefits, you’ll need to file a simple return. Visit irs.gov/coronavirus for more information.
In the next few days, the IRS will be developing a web-based portal where you can check the status of your refund and provide your direct deposit information.
If you need your account number, please call 800-967-1709. Our routing number is 291275194.
Protect yourself from fraud and scams
Scammers are already trying to take advantage of COVID-19 to steal your money or personal information. Be aware, they may:
- Ask you to sign over your economic impact payment check to them.
- Ask by phone, email, text or social media for verification of personal and/or banking information saying that the information is needed to receive or speed up your economic impact payment.
- Suggest you can get a tax refund or economic impact payment faster by working on your behalf. This scam could be conducted by social media or even in person.
Tools to help you manage your money
Use mobile and online services for fast and easy access to managing your money.
- Virtual Branch and our mobile app, CCU on the GO: Check balances, pay bills, transfer money and more.
- Mobile Deposit Capture using CCU on the GO: Take a quick photo of a check to make a deposit in our app.
- PopMoney: Send money and receive money with your friends and family! Fast, safe and easy right from the CCU on the GO app.
Learn More about online and mobile services: Online Services