Our mission is to provide members with financial services that contribute to their success.
The Co-op Credit Union routing number is 291275194.
Credit Union History
The Co-op Credit Union was organized in 1940 when the co-operative movement was going strong in the rural areas. Nine people who believed in the co-op movement and the impact it had on the financial well-being of people met at the Co-op Grocery Store and the idea of a credit union was born.
The Co-op Credit Union of Montevideo was chartered by the Minnesota Commerce Department in April of 1940. The original field of membership was patrons of several co-ops. The original office was in the upstairs of the Co-op Grocery Store where the ceilings were so low that members could not stand up straight.
As you can see below, there has been many wonderful changes and additions throughout the years. Our hope is to continue growing and providing members with financial services for many years to come.
The office was moved to the Farmer’s Union building. Farmer’s Union manager Glenn Hillman and one of his employees ran the credit union.
The credit union moved to its own location and hired its first full-time manager.
The Benson Community Credit Union membership voted to merge with the Co-op Credit Union of Montevideo. They became the first branch office opened. The credit union moved to a larger, more accessible location on highway frontage in Montevideo. The Clara City Co-op Credit Union was also merged into the Credit Union.
The Co-op Credit Union purchased the assets of the Canby Co-op Credit Union and an office was opened in Canby.
- The Co-op Credit Union applied to the commerce department to add eight counties to their field of membership. That application was approved and now anyone who lives, works, worships or attends school in the counties of Chippewa, Kandiyohi, Lac Qui Parle, Lincoln, Lyon, Renville, Swift, or Yellow Medicine is eligible to become a member of the credit union. This is in addition to those already eligible.
- A new office in the Cub Foods grocery store in Willmar, Minnesota was opened in 2004 to serve those eligible for service in that area.
- The Benson office moved into a new building in May of 2006. It’s located next to the old building, which is now our IT Center.
- A new building was constructed for the Montevideo office in 2008. It is located on East Highway 7 and began providing full service in January of 2009.
- A new building was constructed for the Willmar office in 2019. It is located at 501 19th Ave SE.